Sunday, December 14, 2008

Life is a prison

I talked to a man once, he said he attempted to commit suicide and flat-lined for a minute.

He mentioned that it seemed much longer then that. He told me that he woke up in an entirely different form in an extremely unusual luminous world.

Some thing bright and formless spoke to him and said, "Congratulations inmate #99s7, you have served your time."

It was then that he remembered everything, before his life on this Earth, he was an awful man. Thinking about all the torment and despair he had to endure on Earth and not knowing anything, he felt terrible for what he did. All the time being stuck in a meaty body trapped with other prisoners and not having any purpose or understanding...

He explained that it was only through suicide, can you escape your prison term.

My friend couldn't take this, he attacked the form that was revealing this information to him, and before he knew it he was waking up from out of a coma, in this world.

---

Hi, I made up this short story to illustrate a few points.

A lot of religions either intentionally or unintentionally teach that life is suffering, that there is something much better out there waiting for us.

When I was a child, I sincerely believed in heaven and one of my first questions was, "why don't I just kill myself?"

And this thought, like a seed, lingered throughout my teenage years.

Common sense (cause well, pain sucks and pain = death), and "Christian" logic, like saying "thou shalt not kill" includes suicide, prevented me from doing anything stupid.

Nevertheless, I wanted to die. Sometimes people wonder why teens start smoking...

Suicide is a result of firmly believing that this moment, right here, the one your experiencing right now, is garbage.

It's taking a made up story like "life is a prison" and believing it.

When for all we know, this moment is the best there is.

No comments: