Tuesday, December 2, 2008

nine something something

I have a lot of stuff that I've been meaning to write about. It's strange because I have no idea who I'm writing to or 'when' I'm writing to. A strange notion that came to me when I thought about the difference between writing on the internet vs. writing in a book.

The internet could be around for a very long time...

It's very likely that people from the future will be studying our old blog entries and messages to one another to try and understand the past.

So every time I write something, it's like, what kind of audience do I have here?

The reader could be someone from facebook checking to see how things are going in my life, or it could be someone from the year 2320 trying to see why a half-black president was such a big deal to us, or why didn't react to the Canadian party decision in a different way.

(Why is there such a big transfer of power at the same time of the United States anyway?)

There's the conspiracy theorist in me again, lol.

So I think to myself, who do I write to?

Then I freeze up. I know I should have a voice that speaks to everyone, but I'm not quite sure what that is.

In the end I know that something is better then nothing, so I'm just going to type.

I remember reading about a man that would try to write without thinking so that his mind just flows on to the paper.

I've been thinking about brain theories after seeing this video. It's interesting because we all have brains but it's not very often do we stop and think about how they're working.

I was thinking about how we lose our memories because generations of brain cells didn't teach younger generations that information. Think about a really old memory, like when you were a child. A lot of times the memories that come up are ones you've thought of before. In your body, there are only a few cells in your eye and brain that stay with you your whole life, the rest is being replaced on a constant basis.

So by thinking of recent memories, your teaching younger cells to hold on to those ones.

Now, how much information can be stored in these cells? I've heard of people that can remember everything they see. Maybe they've just found a way to train their cells better.

Generation after generation of cells that are getting stronger and stronger.

But then, I've heard of someone that has a perfect memory but a poor imagination.

Here's a guy that argues that the brain has a central "controller" that determines how the brain works.

...

We all forget things, all the time. Computers have given us contrast, (and allow us to 'store information' without putting the effort on our cells). We can see how weak our minds are.

Or is being able to forget things a benefit?

If someone told you something like, the sun sits still.

So you believe for your childhood life but then decide through logic and reason that that statement is false. You need to forget about it, how would we ever handle any new information if we didn't discard the old?

This has probably all been discussed and I should take some time to educate myself on the subject so I can catch up.

The reason why I write it is because I have a lot to say and despite the audience, I should write more often and quit letting all my good ideas disappear.

In a way, passing on information to younger people is a lot like how our brain works.

No comments: