Thursday, December 11, 2008

sigh...

"A groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful"

As I drove my beaten up small pick up truck to work this morning, I got to see a pair of sundogs, only emphasizing the weatherman's dismal warnings of a cold future.

Working outside in a Winnipeg winter wouldn't be so bad if it was just the feeling of the cold. Tools freeze, gloves make everything clumsy and everything becomes slippery and dangerous. Frustrated, I wanted to put a couple boards on the roof really quick and didn't feel like nailing down a board to keep me from sliding off.

That was a mistake. When I started walking on the roof, my feet started to slide, I tried to do the "fall flat" technique which almost always works. This time, I just kept sliding. There was that moment where "oh no, no, no", turns in to, "this is happening."

Know what I mean? When denial of the moment turns in to acceptance.

Luckily, I landed in the right way and in some snow to cushion the fall. No injuries, so I just went right back up the ladder and finished the job.

On the way home, I passed this semi truck and seen that the light ahead was turning red so I started to coast. Some douche bag behind thought that I wasn't coming up to the red light fast enough for him, so honked at me, passed in front of the semi on my right and jumped in front of me only to slam on the brakes at the light.

He was staring at me the whole time, saying some shit that probably wasn't very pleasant.

I just stared right back, in such a blank way. I almost wanted to antagonize him just to see what he would do. I was in one of those state of minds where I just don't care...

"Is this a test? It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on."

No comments: